Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Karibu Mt. Meru!

          Upon reuniting with the other students, some friends and I took a short break from laboring (okay, hardly) over our Independent Study Projects to climb Mt. Meru. After three days of much-needed exercise, whimsical delusion from the high altitude, majestic views and too much Advil for anyone's good, we are now paying the price, grinding out our papers and presentations. Therefore, an update from two weeks as a lone traveler to Wasso COMING SOON.

          In the meantime, as I was catching up on friends' adventures across the world (admittedly via Facebook and Tumblr) I came across this Kurt Vonnegut quote—shout out to Emily Miles!

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.' "

          Mt. Meru was our first glimpse of Tanzania, as we eagerly crawled out of our tents at Ndarakwai Ranch back in January. At the time, the rocky mountain was a big, stunning stranger. 

Taken Week 1 in Tanzania
          After three months admiring its striking allure each time we return to Arusha from safari, drinking its snowmelt, and sharing a home, its presence and significance are visceral. As the semester winds to an end, the climb seemed to be the perfect farewell. 


Mt. Kilimanjaro in the distance




Standing on the summit with some of the coolest, most-selfless people I know, overlooking this vast, beautiful country, I could not have been more genuinely happy. 






2 comments:

  1. Ab, it's funny, and you will probably think its quite pathetic, but since I 've become a wife and mother the things that really bring me joy have changed radically. I can honestly say that when I I know you, Michael and dad are safe, healthy and happy there's no way my heart could Be more full. And seeing your beautiful smile amongst all those gorgeous faces on top of that mountain and knowing that you are now back safely... I am so happy! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. so nice i like your blog, how can i subscribe via my gmail enoah88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete